Saturday, October 02, 2004

I think I'm going to pull through...

Yes, I am still alive. I'm still sick, but at least I can breathe now. Now I'm just coughing my head off. At least I went back to work on Friday.

My work sucks. I know, I know...Everyone says that. In my case it happens to be true. I am a union individual-where I work IT stuff is covered under skilled trades.

The people I have a problem with at work surprisingly aren't the older people who don't know a whole lot about computers. It seems to me that they are the ones that try to learn the most.

The people that I have a problem with are around my age.

The dreaded Generation X.

They are the BOSS. I am the WORKER. I work for THEM. One time when one of these people were trying to tell me it was MY job to set up THEIR calendar in Outlook (which it is not), I kind of lost it. I told them that while I was a union member, it came with certain benefits. Like how I probably made way more money then her and in fact I could probably shoot her and wouldn't get fired.

I think the money comment probably stung more then the shooting part, but she turned me in for the shooting part. To the great harassment people in the sky.

We have a lot of harassment. I've been written up for "offensive body language" aka rolling my eyes. I've been written up for having a "degrading manner" when I told people to read the help menu, that this was not rocket science.

This was a first with "threatening manner," and of course nothing happened as I explained it was only a joke, and I was not about to go postal.

My job has nothing to do with the everyday uses of a computer. I am the coordinator of a very large quality system that tracks vehicles through the plant. The Gen X people assume this means I have to do their bidding, which is most certainly doesn't.

When you know a lot about computers, people tend to ask you for help a lot. It's like being the person with the truck when people are moving. I never ever mind helping someone out, but if you approach me with the attitude of "You will do this," guess what? I'm not going to do that.

So I get back to work yesterday from my sick day, and they have taken management to an "off site." This means they are having a bonding experience by playing Wally Ball. I liked it better when a bonding experience meant they all go their asses kicked, and we made a hell of a lot better cars then.

They can't do this with the Gen X'ers. The X's know perfectly well that they will never be held accountable for anything, because they weren't "trained" good enough, or they need more "coaching." They do not give a shit about their current positions because all they want to do is move up, and they believe they are entitled to it, even if they don't do any work.

I know it is not good to ever make a broad, generalized statement about a group of people. I am not like this. I know a lot of people that aren't like this in my generation. Unfortunately I know a hell of a lot more that ARE like this.

No comments: