Friday, December 24, 2004

Ding! Ding! Ding!

...in this corner you have R weighing in at 205 lbs. He's a master entrepreneur, who runs his own business and can French braid his daughter's hair. He's also my brother.

...and in this corner you have K, weighing in at (not gonna go there). She's a medical transcriptionist who's life's goal is to be with her Mommy as much as possible. She's also my sis-in-law.

I'll save you all the suspense, my brother always wins...

They have this argument EVERY year. My sister and I took bets on it not happening this year, as my parents would be staying there. *I* won.

That would not matter to K.

What is this argument? It has something to do with the whole Christmas Eve People vs. The Christmas Day People. Her family are Christmas Eve people, which you would think would make things very easy around the holidays since we are Christmas Day People.

My sis-in-law's family celebrates on Christmas Eve, Santa included. I remember asking her how exactly this works years ago, and she said, "Usually around midnight the adults just told us kids that Santa was there and that he wouldn't come in if we were in the living room. We'd go to a bedroom with one of them standing guard outside the door, and then after a little bit they'd let us out and we'd go back and open our presents."

How fucked up is that?

Her sister's have "Santa" at her Mom's house still, and K always wants to do that too. She wants to spend the night at Mommy's house. She wants to have her kids herded into a room to wait for Santa, spend the night, let them play there the next day, then drive home.

I know when you get married you are going to have different traditions and cultures collide. I know that compromises must be made.

Something like this though? No freakin' way. Which is my Brother's feelings on the matter, and they had this all pounded out before they ever were married, but she still gets into it with him over it year after year after year.

Then she cries all the way home.

Freakin' baby. My brother insists that his children will go to sleep and wake up to the wonder of a big fat man breaking into their house in the middle of the night and leaving gifts behind. They had agreed to it Pre-Marriage.

I went over there to see the Parental Units before they headed out to their first of 3 Christmas Eve parties. Only the Original Party People could be in town a whole whopping 4 hours and get invited to 3 Christmas Eve parties. Technically it would be 4, counting my brother's in-laws, but I'm pretty sure that my Mom would rather be dipped in honey while beating the hell out of a bee's nest with a bat before she'd spend time with those people.

My sister claimed that we are being snobs and judgmental, to which my Mom and I replied, "So?" at the same time.

I heart my Mom.

So you all get 2 posts on my first day of my 9 day do nothing extravaganza! While the OPP tried to talk me into going with them to their parties, and while I have a couple that I have been invited to also, I think I am just going to stay in, watch movies, eat popcorn, and veg.

Doing Nothing is wonderful...

No comments: