Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Wiping the footprints off the ceiling

I'm in the middle of a dilemma. You see, I have footprints that have been on my ceiling for 9 years, and I am debating about painting over them.

They are barely visible, but I know they are there. There are others that I need to think about before I paint over them, as they know they are there too.

It happened not long after I moved into my brand new house. Being the social butterfly that I am, I had to have a party to break the bitch in right.

People were teasing me that I was now a "grown up", knowing full well that that would aggravate the piss out of me. Long story short, I ended up doing a keg stand in my kitchen to prove I was still a kid at heart, hence the footprints on the ceiling.

The cirlce of soul mates and I see those footprints as our fading youth. We hold on to those footprints like an alcoholic hangs on a bottle of Jack. That night I was like "shit!" when I saw footprints on my brand new ceiling, but then it seemed kind of cool. Kind of like we are not getting "old" and we still have fun. So then and there we prayed to the ceiling footprints, and I vowed to never cover them up.

I am pretty sure that a vow after doing a keg stand, countless jello shots, and God only knows what else doesn't count.

I have threatened to cover them up before, because in 9 years I have painted my ceiling a few times. I always get cryptic messages on my answering machine when I threaten to do it like, "DUuuuuuuuuude be one with the footprints" "Don't do it!!" or "You are getting OLD if you cover those up."

So in the past we have meticulously taken a small brush around the fading footprints as not to cover them up but to make the ceiling match. I've decided to redo my kitchen as I have a four day weekend next weekend (whoo hoo!), so the subject has come up again.

It would make my Mom happy. Everytime she is over here she just shakes her head in that damn kids kind of way. I don't know how I feel about it. Why should I be the one to carry the torch of our youth? Footprint maintenance is not easy.

The last time I painted I was really going to do it. I had it set in my mind that they were gone. When I got to them, I just couldn't do it. So many fond memories are attached to those fading footprints.

So I'll probably sit here and bitch and swear I'm gonna do it only to chicken out. *sighs* One day I'll be able to let go, but just not yet.

No comments: