Tuesday, January 11, 2005

The "New" Adult

I read a rather disturbing piece in the Chicago Sun Times today about the "New" Adulthood age.

They claim the new adult age is 26. This is the age when people are moving out of their parent's homes.

What the fuck?

I don't know if it's lack of sleep, or if I'm just being a techno-tard today, but I cannot find the article on their website.

Trust me, you may not want to read it.

The jist of it was these late twenty-somethings talking about how they just moved right back in with Mommy and Daddy after college. They talk about how it is a waste to pay for things like rent! and power! and all that other good stuff adults do once they become responsible members of society.

Another part that was even more disturbing then that was how some of the emailed things like essays back to their parents from college so they could edit them.

Ummm...Ummm...

Run for the hills folks, it's the seventh sign. I'm at a loss for words...

I moved out of my parents house when I was 18. I didn't have a bad relationship with my parents at all. We got along swimmingly, but with my sister moving back in, and the realization that they were going to make me pay rent, I figured hell if I was going to do that I'd rather be on my own.

It was such an exciting time in my life, being on my own for the first time. I could go where I wanted, do what I wanted, and live how I wanted. I'm not going to kid you and say I didn't struggle, because there were many, many struggles involved, but all of that made me the self-sufficient person that I am today. I'm a survivor bay-bay.

They tried to weigh the good with the bad on this subject, but I found it hard to find good. It talked about how these "kids" go into the work place and expect their bosses to act like their Mom or something.

My God I weep for the future...

No comments: