Sunday, January 23, 2005

I'm Alive!!

Yes, I made it home from work in one piece. The odds of that happening were very slim about 7 hours ago, but I have once again beaten those odds.

You see, it's a freakin' blizzard here. Well, it was a freakin' blizzard here last night.

I knew it was going to get bad, so I drove to my brother's house to meet some of the guys from work who would be my chauffeurs for the evening. Ah the benefits of being a spoiled brat.

They ended up letting us off work at about 9:00 last night instead of the usual 4 in the morning for the line people, 5:30 for me. It was half way decent for about 10 minutes, meaning you could actually see where the road wasn't.

Then all hell broke loose. Wind, oh the wind....You couldn't see 5 feet in front of you. It was snowing like a bitch, and I had Rambo for a chauffeur.

"Can you even see????" I kept asking him. "Oh, we're fine..." he'd say with all confidence. Fuck-n-a he couldn't see. I finally just closed my eyes, because I was afraid I'd stroke out if I watched anymore.

It took us 3 hours to go what normally takes 25 minutes...

I would have kissed the ground when I finally got out of that big honkin' F-350, except the snow was up to my ass, so I would have had to of dived in to find it.

My brother insisted I stay there instead of driving the remaining 15 minutes, which after that ride I didn't put up much of a fight.

The one good thing about my brother is he is a "toy" man. Snow mobiles, four-wheelers, you name it, he has it. We spent the remainder of the night actually glad that it had dumped about 15 inches of snow on the south side of Chicago.

So I've just now made it to my house, cold, wet, and tired. All this snow mobiling has reminded me of the fun to be had during the winter, and a story just may be coming out later tonight/early tomorrow morning.

For now, I'm going to sleep, glad to be home in one piece, glad to have a brother that reminded me that there was a time when 15 inches of snow was an absolute dream...

No comments: