Friday, February 04, 2005

Let the Games Begin!

Yes, it is Superbowl weekend and I am excited. Even though I didn't know who was playing in the Superbowl until the other day, it doesn't mean I can't enjoy it, right?

In a really good post, Rich Rosenthall II talks about the sadness that is people who watch for commercials and how it must give the consumer Gods an orgasm.

I'm sorry Rich, but I'm one of these people. Please don't be to disappointed in me.

So every year I head on over to the best friend and best friend-in-law's house for the Superbowl, as the best friend R and I have been watching it together for shit probably 27 years. The best friend-in-law T came into the picture about 14 years ago, and we like him so we let him stay.

T really is a saint for putting up with us. While he tries to watch the game we are all talking and laughing and joking. Every once in awhile he'll just shake his head or give us a good eye roll.

Then a commercial comes on. "Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!" we'll both say together. He'll get up to go to the bathroom (go to the bathroom during the commercials?? Is he nuts???) and we'll yell at him to get the hell out of the way.

I'm sure it would be much more fun for him to watch the game with guys, but over the years R and I seem to have scared them all off on the big football day. They never come back. I wonder why?

A lot of thought and really good writing it put into these commercials. Remember the one where the guy goes running into the bedroom, slips off the satin sheets, and goes flying out the window? The Osborn's turning into Donny and Marie?

There are so many funny ones it would be impossible to name them all. I'm sure you all remember when Superman walked and when the clydesdale's bowed to New York City.

The thought of that damn Clydesdale one can still bring tears to my eyes, and did when originally shown. R also got weepy, as did T. See, at certain times watching the Superbowl with two crazy chicks has it's benefits.

But before you take me off your blog roll Mr. Rosenthall II, there is one thing you should know. After the game is over, the beer bottles cleaned up, and the extra pounds gained, we'll usually rehash some of the commercials that were our favorites.

We can't ever remember what they are selling in those commercials.

Yes, that is right. Unless it has something like the Clydesdales, which most know is from Bud, we'll rack our collective brains to remember what the hell the commercial was for.

I'm pretty sure this wouldn't make the advertising Gods happy.

So what was your fav past Superbowl commercial? Even though I'm a comedy chickie, I'd still have to go with the Clydesdales crossing the country to bow at NYC.

No comments: