Sunday, June 13, 2004

A blogger this way comes...

I've tried a couple of these blogger type sites, and I heard this one is pretty decent. I've been traveling through different free blogger type sites for a couple of years, and I always tend to get bored with them and move on to a new home. This place looks like I can edit the code and junk like that, so maybe I'll take up roots here for a bit.

I guess I should start by telling you a little about myself. I'm just into my third decade on this Earth. Growing up I looked more like Natalie from The Facts of Life then Blair. By the time I hit my late teens something funny called puberty happened and turned me into someone that Blair would envy.

This came as quite a surprise to me, as I had spent 18 or 19 years (yeah, I hit puberty waaay late) as the loyal friend, faithful daughter, and all around fun person. People began treating me quite different, and I didn't quite understand it.

I was classified as a "gifted" child when I was around 4, and that set the stage for the rest of my life. My parents were totally against any grade skipping or anything of that nature, because they thought my social development was far more important. I thank the powers that be for my parents everyday, because my social skills have far advanced me in every area in my life then finishing High School years early ever could.

My parents insisted I go to college close to home for my Freshman year. I thought this was the biggest bunch of bullshit I had ever heard, but begrudginly I listened. I was a later in life child, and I had a brother and sister that were 4 and 8 years older then myself.

I ended up getting off the college track when my older sister divorced her no good, woman beating husband. She had three kids under four years old at the time. He wouldn't give her a cent. My parents couldn't know about the awful situation because A.) My Father would be in jail now for murder, and B.) They would have to postpone their long awaited retirement to help take care of my sister and her children.

I took a job in an automobile factory building cars. You have to understand that I was a real girly-girl type, and when I learned I would have to OMG get dirty it really freaked me out. I did it though, and I put my older sister through college and paid her bills.

I would come home from work so tired sometimes that I could not get out of my car. My whole body ached, and in the morning I would have to thrust my hands into hot water just to get them to move. By the time my sister was back on her feet, college was a distant memory, and I had a vested retirement.

I was 24 and stuck. Union people make very good money. I could make more in a summer then what I would make in my chosen profession (teaching), and I was addicted to that money, especially once I could spend it on myself and not school tuition, Santa Claus, bicyles....You get the picture. Kids are damn expensive.

My parents had migrated to warmer climates, and to this day think I was being a rebellious child by not staying in school. I did try at first, but would usually end up asleep in my classes. You just cannot image assembly line work unless you have done it. I did end up finishing my degree and getting a mucho better job with the automobile company, but I was still stuck. I really, really hate that.

Some people think I'm a saint or something for doing that, which is really sad if you think about it. If someone told me they did that, I would just think it was the right thing to do.

No comments: