Wednesday, March 02, 2005

50 is the New 30

That's what my sister said to me. 50 is the new 30.

My sister encompasses pretty much all of the bad things they say about Baby Boomers. This world is all about her you know, and of course at 43 she is not old. Why, you are still a kid in your 40's!

Not that I'm saying 43 is old, so don't y'all get together and kick my ass in a parking lot or something. It is mature though, and it most definitely is not what used to be the 20's. They say that many boomers live in this little cloud where they think they don't age.

Fuck that. I wouldn't want to be in my 20's again for anything in the world. That is just my Gen X genes talking I suppose...

So my sis and I were arguing about something stupid, and she said, "You're just a baby. You'll find out someday." "I'm fucking 34 years old! I am no where close to being a kid, so don't patronize me."

"Well, you know they say 50 is the new 30," she said. By this logic I am still 14 years old.

I thought 40 was the new 30 was the latest catch phrase, but I guess as the boomers age it'll keep going up. Pretty soon we'll be hearing "70 is the new 30!" as many of them just don't want to admit they are getting old. And they are. Getting old.

You can see what's going to happen from a mile away if you look really hard. The Boomers are eventually going to be taken over by the little Echo Bastards, who will then declare that 30 is the new 30, and when I'm 50, I'll just be old.

We Gen Xer's are a really pain in the old Boomer's ass. Close enough to their age to not be a kid, but young enough to remind them they are getting older, we are a constant in your face look at what they were 10 years ago. Logically we can't be dismissed as young and inexperienced like the echo bastards, so I really think we present this huge threat to the boomers.

Tomorrow (hopefully if I don't start throwing up again or if some wayward boomer doesn't kill me or if work doesn't hold me hostage) I'll talk about how my 90 year old grandpa thinks we are going to inherit the Greatest Generation title. We meaning Gen Xer's....Stay tuned...

No comments: