Friday, June 02, 2006

Gimmicks Galore!

So I've been getting these little emails from reunion.com.

"You've received 230 views to your profile this year! Could it be an old high school buddy? A long-lost love? A family member you may have lost touch with over the years? Find out now!"

Find out now is a link that takes you directly to a page asking for your credit card to become a paying member of the site.

I can't help but wonder how many adults there are out there that fall for this shit. How many adults really care who the hell is looking for them from high school.

I could care less. It isn't even tempting for me. While talking to one of my friends that is also on the site she informed me that only 26 people have viewed her profile.

It's a bitch being popular, let me tell ya.

Well, I wasn't exactly popular, not in the traditional sense anyway. I wasn't the homecoming queen, I wasn't the smartest, and I wasn't the worst.

But all those people were my friends. More like aquaintances. A lot of that had to do with the fact that my brother who was a senior when I was a freshman was the "it" guy-you know, the local version of a boy bander. The one that all the girls in school swoon over.

Gross.

So instead of being Jeanie from Ferris Bueller's Day off I rode the wave and was popular right along with him. I had a great time in high school, but I still wouldn't go back there for all the money in the world.

Well, maybe for all the money in the world, but definitely not for like $100,000 or sumfin.

So where was I? Oh yeah, reunion.com. I can't help but think the people that fall for that gimmicky shit are people that would go back to high school for free. Those people that still yearn to be accepted and popular. Those people that are secretly praying my brother is single and will fall madly in love with them from across a crowded room and wonder why the hell he never noticed them in high school.

Now I'll admit I had an "it" guy in high school, and unfortunately he was my "friend". In my mid twenties I had a Romy and Michele moment with him, as he had turned into a fat landscaper with bad hair and a bit of a drinking problem. There are no wild high school fantasies going on in my head, let me tell you. He totally ruined it.

So the question is, would you want to know who was clicking on your profile, or are you like me and could care less about people from so long ago?

No comments: