Wednesday, September 29, 2004

My Cousin is No Longer Gay



How does this happen??? My Dad called me all upset because my cousin C is no longer gay. She showed up at their house with a man of all things.



It is not as if my Dad wishes gayness on people. In fact, he was one of the first to be shocked when C came out of the closet. He grew up in the South, and it has taken him a bit to become more...more...tolerant...Yeah, tolerant, that's the word.

When they moved down South to care for my ailing Grandparents, he found that most of the family had disowned her. Now my Dad may not be the most progressive thinker in the world, but there is one bond that means everything to him-blood. So as he put it, "Lesbian or not, she's still my niece dammit."

So he welcomed C and her lover M into his house, and into his heart. Soon he was learning about Gay culture, and he really, really loved M. M was butcher then butch, and they had a lot in common. They had a lot of things in common, as they were both "manly men" or whatever.

This is why he is so upset. He thought when you are gay, you are gay. He had welcomed M into the family and now she is gone.

Poor thing. At least he learned tolerance towards a different lifestyle.

No comments: